Traveling from the southwest to the northeast, I-59 is designed as a diagonal highway, and is one of the few available in the entire country. This highway covers almost 500 miles and is part of one of the longest shared stretches of highway when it merges with I-20 in Birmingham and Meridian. Using this road is common among trucks looking to navigate the southern U.S., as well as passenger vehicles that are looking for a better way to get where they are going. This roadway is just as prone to truck accidents as any other, so drivers need to be careful.
I-59 truck accident statistics are not as high as some busier highways, but there is still a risk present that people have to deal with. Trucks can weigh some 80,000 pounds or more, which puts passengers of smaller cars at risk of severe injuries including crushing injuries. Broken bones, spinal cord injuries, traumatic brain injuries and more. Passengers of other vehicles are more likely to be injured in a collision than the truck driver.
Fast Facts About I-59
- I-59 is one of few diagonal highways in the country. It starts in New Orleans and spans to the southwest of Chattanooga, TN
- I-59 merges with I-20 from Birmingham to Meridian, which is one of the longest duplexes in the system of interstate highways
- This interstate spans 445 miles across 4 states: Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Georgia
- This road enters Georgia, as does I-24, but neither connect to any other interstate in the state; drivers must enter Chattanooga and get on I-75 for interconnectivity
- There are nearly half a million cars on I-59 every day, on average
Why You Need a Truck Accident Lawyer
You need to hire a truck accident lawyer if you have been injured in a collision with a truck or if you have a loved one who has been injured or killed in this type of accident. During this difficult time, legal matters might be the furthest things from your mind, but this is something that you need to think about.
You need a lawyer to help explore your legal options and find the right course of action for your situation. Our truck accident attorneys will advocate for the rights of you and your family at every stage, and will try and make the process as easy on you as possible. To find out more information, please call us today.