Hauling large pieces of lumber throughout the country, log trucks (also referred to as flatbed trucks) are massive vehicles that, when mishandled or somehow destabilized, can cause extremely ruinous accidents. While such devastating logging truck accidents may involve a vehicle jackknifing or rolling over, just as severe crashes can occur when debris flies off the truck and strikes other smaller passenger vehicles.
In fact, the U.S. Department of Transportation reports that logging trucks, along with tractor trailers and other large trucks, are involved in about 13 percent of all motor vehicle accidents. Of the 500,000 truck accidents that occur annually in the U.S.:
- 86 percent are caused by human error (either the truck driver, another driver, a passenger, a cyclist or a pedestrian)
- 75 percent are caused by the driver of a smaller passenger vehicle car, rather than the truck driver
- roughly half of these accidents involve other passenger vehicles
- nearly 5,000 trucks are involved in fatal accidents
- 75 percent of injuries sustained in truck accidents affect drivers other than the truck driver
How Logging Truck Accidents Occur
Any combination of the following can cause logging truck accidents:
- debris or animals in the road
- driver fatigue or intoxication
- driver inexperience
- equipment failure or defects
- poor road and/or weather conditions
- poorly secured cargo loads (This factor is particularly a concern for logging trucks, as the cargo on these vehicles is not contained within a trailer – but, rather, is exposed to the elements and secured with industrial tethers.)
- reckless driving and/or failing to follow traffic laws
What to Do After a Log Truck Accident
Following a log truck accidents, it's essential that those involved:
- Receive emergency medical attention to prevent potential fatal complications
- Consult with an experienced log truck accident attorney to learn more about their legal rights and entitlements
When the negligence or recklessness of another party – whether it be another driver, passenger, logging corporation or equipment manufacturer – is responsible for causing a serious accident, victims will have a legal claim and will be entitled to compensation for their injuries and losses. Highly qualified truck accident lawyers are dedicated to aggressively representing the rights of accident victims to help them win the settlements/awards they deserve.
Log Truck Accident Settlements/Awards
The amount of compensation an injured victim will recover will depend on several factors including:
- The severity of the incident and the resulting injuries
- Who behaved negligently (If victims were also behaving negligently, settlement awards may be lowered)
- Whether any fatalities occurred
- The driving records of involved parties (i.e. whether the responsible parties have a history of reckless driving and/or accidents)
Examples of awards granted in past logging truck accident lawsuits include:
- $3.5 million to a family of a man who was killed when his van was crushed between two logging trucks
- $275,000 to an individual who sustained serious neck and back injuries as a result of being rear-ended by a logging truck
- $195,000 to an individual who was injured when a log truck made a U-turn in front of the car
Do You Need Legal Help?
If you or a loved one has been involved in a log truck accident and are in need of professional legal representation, contact our experienced truck accident lawyers for help. We will evaluate the unique details of your case and fight zealously on your behalf. For more information, contact us today. We will respond promptly to your inquiries and will let you know how we can help you.