Nearly 90 percent of all truck collisions are caused by mistakes made by drivers, vehicle occupants, cyclists or pedestrians. This means that if people took the proper safety precautions and abided by traffic regulations, 450,000 truck accidents could be prevented each year. In turn, this could save 4,500 lives and prevent about 117,000 injuries.
It's crucial that everyone on the road take the time to understand how to prevent truck and other traffic accidents.
Types and Causes of Truck Wrecks
About 50 percent of all truck accidents involve front collisions. Other common types of truck accidents include brake failures, jackknifes and rollovers. Causes of these traffic crashes may include:
- Animals or debris in the road
- Bad weather and poor visibility
- Driver distraction or inexperience
- Driver exhaustion or intoxication
- Equipment failure
- Failure to obey traffic laws
- Improperly secured loads
- Poor road conditions
- Reckless driving
About 75 percent of all truck accidents are caused by drivers of smaller motor vehicles – not truck drivers.
Truck Accident Prevention Tips
Both truck and passenger vehicle drivers can reduce their risk of getting into a big rig collision (or any type of traffic accident) by:
- Making sure all cargo is firmly, properly and safely attached to the vehicle
- Minimizing driver distractions
- Not driving when intoxicated
- Obeying all traffic laws
- Properly maintaining their vehicles
- Staying alert and not driving when fatigued (Driver fatigue accounts for approximately 30 percent of all semi truck accidents.)
- Undergoing all property training necessary to safety operating the vehicle being driven
When Prevention Fails: Compensation for Truck Accident Injuries
Unfortunately, regardless of how safe you drive, you cannot control the actions of other drivers, nor can you predict equipment failure, poor road conditions and a number of other factors. As a result, you may, at some point, be involved in a truck collision.
If you or someone you care about has been in a serious truck accident, and you would like to find out if you qualify to seek compensation for the damages incurred, please contact our truck accident attorneys. We will discuss the specific circumstances of your case to determine if you have a legitimate claim.