Currently, more than 2 million semi trucks operate on U.S. roadways. According to the U.S. Department of Transportation (USDOT), semi trucks—also referred to as 18-wheelers, big rigs and tractor trailers—are involved in about 500,000 accidents annually, which result in approximately 5,000 fatalities nationwide.
Tragically, accidents involving big rigs tend to cause more severe injuries and greater amounts of property damage than other types of motor vehicle accidents due to:
- the weight and size of 18 wheeler trucks (They can weight as much as 80,000 lbs. and reach up to 75 ft in length)
- The greater time needed to bring these vehicles to a stop
- The demanding schedules truck drivers have to deliver cargo
When are Semi Truck Accidents Most Likely to Occur?
The Fatality Analysis Reporting System (FARS) found that fatal semi truck accidents are most likely to occur:
- in the daytime
- on weekdays
- in rural areas
Some of the most common causes of semi truck accidents include:
- animals or debris in the road
- bad weather
- driver fatigue
- driver intoxication
- failure of the brakes, steering or any other semi truck parts
- failing to follow traffic laws, such as speeding, running red lights or unsafely changing lanes
- lack of driver training and/or experience
- poor road conditions
- poorly secured cargo
- reckless driving, such as cutting off other drivers or following too close behind other drivers.
Semi Truck Accident Statistics
Effects of Semi Truck Accidents
Following a semi truck accident, any involved party may be facing serious physical injuries, which may include any combination of:
- bone fractures
- bruising and lacerations
- loss of limb
- loss of vision, hearing or sensation
- permanent disability
- spinal injuries or whiplash
- traumatic brain injury
In most cases, semi truck accident injuries will require emergency medical care, as well as long-term treatments, which may include surgery, physical therapy and various medications.
Semi Truck Accident Lawyers
In addition to severe physical harm, semi truck accident victims may also face significant emotional and financial stress as mounting medical bills, an inability to work, and costly property damage can be overwhelming. If you or a loved one has been in a semi truck accident, our experienced accident attorneys can help you:
- Learn more about your legal rights
- Find out if you have a case and are entitled to a settlement
- Secure aggressive, professional representation for all future legal proceedings
- Seek compensation for your injuries and losses
Fatal Semi Truck Accidents
If your loved one was killed in a semi truck accident, you have our most sincere condolences. We recognize the emotional trauma that is associated with the loss of a loved one, and we strive to provide surviving family members with compassion and care. In addition to the emotional losses, we know that you will be facing financial damages including outstanding medical bills, funeral costs and lost financial support.
Our truck accident lawyers are committed to fighting aggressively for families who have lost their loved ones to fatal truck crashes, and stand ready to help you get the compensation you need to move forward with your life.